Support Worker – Goldthorpe
Barnsley, South Yorkshire
We are looking for a Support Worker to join our Service based in Goldthorpe on a permanent, part time basis (20 hours a week). Shifts will be spread across mornings, afternoons, evenings and sleep ins, weekends and bank holidays. You will receive an enhanced flat rate payment of £60.00 for any sleep in shifts carried out. The payment for sleep ins is non-contractual.
About our Service
In our Goldthorpe service, you will be supporting 2 males with learning disabilities to live independent and active lives. The people we support have a wide range of support needs and interest, which will make your role varied and interesting. You will be actively involved in promoting and encouraging them to make everyday choices in everything they do.
What does a Support Worker do?
As a Support Worker you will be expected to provide an outstanding level of support that will help to ensure the people we support live a more comfortable, dignified, liberated and happy life.You will have excellent communication skills and be a naturally caring and patient personality. Typical responsibilities may include:
- Supporting people to live independently – budget management, paying bills, housework, organising appointments and cooking delicious healthy meals.
- Excellent communication skills and Relationship building – supporting the people we support to understand the world around them and promoting positive relationships.
- Community & Social Inclusion - supporting individuals to access and participate in their local community and social events to promote life skills and individuality.
- Personal care – helping people to get ready for the day. This may include prompting the people we support to take their medication and assisting with bathing, showering and using the bathroom. Not all Support Worker roles include high levels of personal care.
Have you thought about working for Mencap?
Mencap is a leader in providing excellent support to people with a learning disability. Our vision is a world where people with a learning disability are valued equally, listened to and included.
Everyone wants a purposeful job – to do something really meaningful. Everything we do at Mencap keeps the people we support at the centre of what we do. To find out a bit more about what life as a Support Worker is like, please click here to watch a short video.
With us, it’s never ‘just a job’.In return for your hard work and passion you can find real and meaningful work experience, access to some excellent benefits alongside our competitive pay.Click here to find out more about our Mencap benefits.
We are proud to be a Disability Confident Leader and welcome applicants with disabilities to apply for all roles with us. To find out more about the scheme please visit the directgov website.
At Mencap, we value a diverse and inclusive workplace and we intentionally plan for the success of our colleagues in everything we do. We welcome applications from everyone, so come as you are and join us. Together we are Mencap!
Mencap are strongly encouraging all our colleagues to have the Covid-19 vaccine as a way to help protect each other and the people we support.
No two days are ever the same, sometimes they may be challenging but they will always positive so click apply now to be considered!
*All roles are subject to an enhanced DBS check and suitable references.
Job ID: 28204
As well as knowing that what we do is making a positive difference to people’s lives, you will receive fair pay and have access to a wide range of rewards and benefits as one of our employees.
- 22 days holiday plus bank holidays increasing to 24 days with effect from April 2023
- Annual leave increases with long service up to 27 days per year plus the ability to buy up to another 10 days via our HolidayPlus scheme
- Service related sick pay when 6 month probation is completed
- Pension contributions into NEST Scheme on a salary sacrifice basis meaning NI savings
- Death in service life cover for a nominated beneficiary under our life assurance scheme
- Loans for debt consolidation, bikes, computers and phones when you have been with us for 6 months
- Interest free season ticket loans
- Discounts and cashback from 3% to 30% at high street shops including major supermarkets, cinemas, gyms, leisure/theme parks, holidays and much more via Mencap Extras
- Opportunity to purchase a health cash plan to claim towards dental, glasses, therapy etc.
- Free access to round the clock employee assistance program for advice and support
- Quarterly award scheme and recognition at every 5 years through our YouRock program
- Access to award winning training and development
*T&C's apply based on contract
At Mencap we work in partnership with people with a learning disability. We do this by providing high quality, flexible services that support people, including young adults, to live as independently as possible in their own homes and in the community.
Everyone wants a purposeful job – to do something meaningful. At Mencap, we can give you that. You will have opportunities to develop as a person, colleague, leader and activist.
You’ll make new friends and feel inspired to reach your potential. We will ask a lot of you – but you’ll get back so much more. With us, it is never ‘just a job’.
In return for your hard work and passion, we can give you real meaning and purpose in your work.