Senior Software Engineer
James Fisher and Sons plc.
Senior Software Engineer
Aberdeen – Westhill
JFD is the world leading underwater capability provider, serving the commercial and defence markets with innovative diving, submarine and hyperbaric rescue, technical solutions and services. We are looking for a Senior Software Engineers to join our team in Aberdeen.
As a Senior Software Engineer you will lead and manage a team of Software Engineers as well as provide technical expertise in software engineering design solutions and through life engineering support to the JFD product range. Your workload can vary from creating software for new product design to meet client or internal specifications through to supporting an existing client’s request to upgrade or change software in the field. This includes the maintenance of an extensive library of legacy code.
Your main responsibilities within this role will be to provide software engineering design input to new products as well as our existing product range. You will also assess technical queries and provide solutions to a wide-ranging product portfolio. You will liaise with our internal departments such as sales, procurement and production and create software engineering documentation such as specifications, proposals, test plans, reports and manuals.
We will also look to you to manage the software team on performance, development, allocation/delegation of work, compliance and general-day-to-day management. You will also play a key role in ensuring that software engineering solutions are provided on time and in budget. There may be some requirement for you to visit other JFD offices and client assets when required.
Who we are looking for:
- Relevant experience in an industrial software and firmware design environment in a senior position
- Extensive experience in embedded software (MPLAB, ST32) development, test and debug
- Extensive experience with high level development languages – preferably one or more of PowerBASIC, VB, C# and C++, Dynamic C and C.
- Good software development knowledge including version control using Azure DevOps and Agile development techniques
- Experience with network protocol UDP
- Experience with serial comms protocols over RS485/232, CAN
- Experience with SQL server/client data base applications
- Experience with user interface MVC framework
- Experience with Continuous Integration (CI) tools such as Jenkins
- Experience with documentation using online Wiki
Experience with the following would be advantageous:
- Product design
- Siemens STEP7 PLC coding would be advantageous
- Embedded software in safety critical applications
- Previous diving equipment design experience would be advantageous
- Software / Computer Science / Electrical/electronic engineering degree or equivalent industry experience
- Any relevant diving qualifications would be advantageous
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Excellent organisational skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Methodical and thorough whilst generating and checking documentation
- Ability to adapt to changing scope or client demands
- Willingness to take ownership and accountability of tasks and drive to completion
- Focused on delivering high quality output to tight deadlines and willing to go the extra mile to ensure success is achieved
- Focused on delivering cost efficient solutions on time and on budget.
James Fisher & Sons are committed to taking positive action on diversity and we strongly encourage applications from candidates from all backgrounds and as a Disability Confident employer we are committed to offer an interview to disabled candidates who meet the minimum criteria for the role.
Please note you will be required to pass a Security Clearance check if successful for this role.