Senior Design Engineer
About the job
Job Title:Senior Design Engineer (Telecoms)
Location: Hamilton, Glasgow, UK – Hybrid with working from home options available
Compensation:£50,000 + benefits
Role Type:Full time / Permanent
Role ID: SF42865
Make change possible
At Babcock we're working to create a safe and secure world, together, and if you join us, you can play your part as a Senior Design Engineer (Telecoms) at Babcock Rail in Hamilton.
As an international defence company, we support and enhance our customers' defence and security capabilities and critical assets, meeting their requirements of value for money, increased availability, modernisation and flexibility
The Senior Design Engineer is based within our Babcock Rail business area.
We support Network Rail and other rail industry customers in providing a safe, reliable and efficient rail network across Great Britain. Whether you're a skilled or aspiring rail professional, there are some incredible opportunities
The difference our new Senior Design Engineer will make
As a Senior Design Engineer, you'll have a role that's out of the ordinary. As a Senior Design Engineer (Telecoms), your role will be pivotal in implementing the appropriate standards for telecoms systems and procedures, as well as ensuring a safe and environmentally responsible approach to telecom's design.
Day to day, you'll be responsible for undertaking the design for telecoms projects involving the operational communications aspects of the rail network, while also providing telecom design support on a variety of multi-disciplinary rail projects. You will also work on design production for Station Information and Security Systems (SISS) comprising of Customer Information Systems, Public Address and station CCTV security. Reporting to the design manager (Telecoms), the Senior Design Engineer (Telecoms) undertakes the delivery of the engineering design aspects of telecoms tenders and projects within agreed timescales and budgeted costs and is responsible for its contribution to overall business performance.
At Babcock, we have a history of helping talent go far. With our track record of innovation, you'll continually develop your knowledge and expertise.
We offer flexible working to give people more options to better integrate their work and personal life, whilst ensuring that business needs are met. This role provides 2 days working in the Hamilton office and 3 days working from home per week.
* Degree, HND or HNC in Electrical and Electronic Engineering / Telecoms Engineering or Cisco CCNA if coming from a network design background.
* A good understanding of Network Rail assets and the project lifecycle on multidisciplinary rail projects.
* Rail Telecoms Design Engineer – ideally IRSE licenced or working towards.
* Proven success leading and motivating a team of telecoms engineers for effective design and delivery of telecoms systems.
* Proven experience providing support for estimates for engineering projects and tenders with regards to resources, plans, technology, risk assessment and engineering assurance process.
What we offer
Generous benefits including:
* Generous holiday allowance of 27 days plus 12 bank holidays
* Reservist in the armed forces receive 10 days special paid leave
* Matched contribution pension scheme up to 4.5% of salary, with life assurance
* Working from home and flexible work patterns
* Employee assistance programme supporting physical, mental and financial wellbeing
* Flexible benefits, including cycle to work scheme, discounts and our Share Ownership Scheme
* Autonomy trusted and empowered to be at your best
For over 130 years, we have helped to defend nations, protect communities and build a better world. To continue, we must adapt, advance and be a sustainable business with a shared goal. Change begins with our people and our shared Principles: be curiousbe courageousown and deliverthink: outcomescollaboratebe kind. These values not only guide the way we work, but also our efforts to reach net-zero carbon. Yes, our ambitions are big, but together, we can achieve them.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. If you are a reservist in the armed forces, we provide up to ten days special paid leave in support of your training commitments.
All applications should be made online. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know. We're committed to building an inclusive culture where everyone's free to thrive. We are happy to talk about flexible working – please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.