Senior Business Intelligence and Warehouse Developer
Somerset NHS Foundation Trust
Our award winning trusts recognise that our colleagues are our most valuable resource, we are proud of the excellent levels of service our Trust provides to our service users and the dedication and conscientiousness of our colleagues. With over 10,000 colleagues working for our trusts in a very wide range of services, we aim to provide a supportive, inclusive environment in which our colleagues can thrive.
Potential Trust Merger
Our trust is consulting on a proposed merger to enable Yeovil District hospital and Somerset Foundation Trust to become one combined organisation. If the merger is confirmed your employment will transfer to the newly formed trust in April 2023
An exciting opportunity exists to join the Data Engineering & Development team, as a Senior BI and Data Warehouse Developer within Somerset NHS Foundation Trust.
Working in the Data Insights & Intelligence service you will be working in a team of like-minded individuals, supporting the development and delivery of diverse information from across the organisation.
Ideally, experienced in Acute, Community and Mental and/or Health service data, you will support the business as usual needs, along with delivering the challenges of merging three data warehouse solutions into a single strategic data solution to meet the needs of the organisation.
Experience in NHS Datasets, Microsoft products, (including Power BI, SQL Server 2016 onwards, SSIS), web based reporting tools, source control and web based collaboration, General Data Protection Regulation, along with designing, developing and implementing systems using the Agile/Scrum approach.
Main duties of the job
Working within the Data Engineering & Development team the post holder will be required to take a leading role in the day to day development and routine maintenance of the extract transform & load (ETL) processes, data warehouse architecture, reporting views and data models, plus associated testing and deployment activities.
The role requires the post holder to undertake new pieces of development work using the departments Data Warehousing, Reporting and Performance Management tools as part of the Trust’s Data Warehouse & Business Intelligence solution.
Working for our organisation
As an organisation, the NHS offers a wide range of benefits including flexible working, fantastic pension contributions, market leading annual leave allowance, career progression and regular conversations, not to mention our Blue Light Card and NHS exclusive discounts.
The benefits of working in Somerset include the idyllic countryside, with our areas of outstanding beauty and stunning coastlines. You will get to enjoy these perks whilst still only being a stone’s throw away from bustling city centres like Bristol, Bath and Exeter and only two hours away from London.
There are excellent educational facilities in the area and, when compared to other regions, house prices are reasonable. You will to experience the best of both in Somerset, the countryside and the cosmopolitan – there is truly something for everyone!
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
The post involves regular communication with:-
- Trust BI & Analytics Service including Information Services; IT; Finance; Operational and clinical staff
- Staff within other NHS organisations both locally and nationally, including providers, commissioners and primary care
- Staff from external BI Development Partner organisations
- External System suppliers
- Plans own workload and works with limited supervision.
- Plans and implement assigned development work together with the associated testing and deployment activities in conjunction with the Data Development Manager and Principal BI and Warehouse Developers.
- Assist the Data Development Manager in managing the BI environment
- Post holder will be required to deal with system or data quality or reporting exceptions on a regular basis which will require reprioritisation of workload and visibility at daily scrums.
- For data quality purposes be actively engaged in the monitoring, creation and alteration/correction of databases, reports, views and associated data sources used within the Data Insights & Intelligence Service.
- Engage with colleagues within Data Insights & Intelligence, staff from the Trust’s IT Service, and staff form supplier or customer organisations to progress and resolve issues
- Working with Database Administration service to ensure the maintenance and management of user access to the Trust’s Data Solution.
- Ensure that all new National Data Set Change Notices are taken in to consideration and interpreted correctly, working with the Data Development Manager to assess their impact on the Trust’s Data solutions and participating in any associated development work to ensure compliance.
- Work practices to be in-line with the teams Standard Operating Procedures and work is undertaken using an Agile approach and planned through bi-monthly sprints’.
- The role will involve some data analytics whilst working with Analyst colleague or when investigating data integrity or data quality issues and during the process of fault resolution.
- Contribute to the strategic plans for Data Insights & Intelligence Service.
- Work closely with the Data Development Manager, Finance, Senior BI Developers & Senior Information Analysis staff, the Trust’s Data Quality Team and staff from the Trust’s IT Service to implement solutions to resolve data quality issues highlighted in data quality reports, and solutions that allow data to be interrogated in the ways required to meet reporting requirements .
- Deputise for the Senior Data Development Manager at local meetings and workshops, usually no more than once per month. Provide guidance to members of the team at all levels as required.
- Formal Training received
- Language and Tools
- NHS Experience
- Data warehousing and Project Management
Employer certification / accreditation badges
The postholder will have access to vulnerable people in the course of their normal duties and as such this post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Documents to download
Apply online now
Further details / informal visits contact
- Patrick Platt
- Job title
- Senior BI Development Architect
- Email address
- [email protected]
- Telephone number
- Additional information
Dan Arrigoni on 07917277002