Kernow Health Ltd
Hours: Full or part-time (24 – 37.5 hours per week)
Salary: £27,060 – £34,650
Closing date: 31/03/2023
The Medical Team at Saltash Health Centre aims to provide all our patients with access to quality personalised care in a friendly and caring environment. We believe that prevention of illness is better than cure and actively educate and encourage our patients to make healthy choices and share responsibility for improving their wellbeing.
We are currently seeking applications from dynamic and proactive experienced Practice Nurse to join our established & friendly multi-disciplinary team including GPs, GP trainees, Practice Paramedics, Clinical Pharmacists, Mental Health Practitioner, Social Prescriber, Practice Nurses and HCA’s based at our surgery in Saltash, Cornwall.
We are seeking to appoint someone with a caring nature, who will provide and maintain a professional manner and a high standard of nursing care for our 12,500 patients and will integrate well with the nursing team. This is a fantastic opportunity for a Practice Nurse with good communication skills, and a commitment to working as part of a strong and effective nursing team.
The Practice is an accredited Training Practice for Student Nurses, GPs, and Medical Students and offers opportunities to progress and develop, in both clinical and non-clinical capacities. This is a varied and challenging role where clinical supervision and opportunities for training and development is provided by a supportive team.
Ideally the successful applicant would be experienced in chronic respiratory disease management (COPD and Asthma) as well as Minor Illness, travel health, women’s health and general treatment room tasks.
We will consider full-time or part-time working between 24 – 37.5 hours per week
Applicants must be a fully qualified Registered General Nurse (RGN) and have a valid NMC number
Practice Nurse Experience
Experience in chronic disease management & minor illness clinics
The flexibility to be able to cover sick/annual leave at times if required – flexible working approach
Experience in/ willingness to train in Women’s Health, Contraception and Sexual Health
Experience in/ willingness to train in Childhood Immunisations and Travel Health
Apply with a CV and covering letter
For further information about us
Please visit our website www.saltashhealth.co.uk
For an informal conversation or to arrange a visit to look around please 01752 842281 and ask to leave a message for Janine Hunt, Practice Nurse Manager or Avril Tozer, Practice Business Manager
Job Responsibilities will include (according to experience or training will be given).
To assist in and perform the following tasks related to patient care as directed Nurse Manager and GPs.
• Long term condition reviews and management, encouraging Patient self- management in Asthma, COPD, Learning Disabilities
• Motivational interviewing
• Wound care, including Compression Bandaging
• Doppler recordings
• Travel Assessment, advice and vaccinations
• Cervical Smears and promoting health
• Contraception reviews
• Routine immunisations including childhood vaccinations under PGDs
• Chaperoning and assisting patients where appropriate who are being examined by another clinician
• Assisting GPs with minor surgery and coil fittings
• Vaccinations including Flu and Covid
• Blood pressure measurements/hypertension management
• Requesting basic pathology tests, for example urine culture, swabs
• Following agreed clinical protocols with referral to Nurse Manager or GPs as appropriate
Assist the Infection Control Lead for the Saltash Health Centre Surgery in alerting appropriate team members to any actions required and ensuring appropriate responses are achieved. This includes running audits and recording the surgery’s compliance with regulatory requirements including those supervised though the Care Quality Commission.
• Maintaining and cleaning equipment used by the nurses and GPs
• Ordering of stock
• Following of CSSD procedures according to practice policy
• In absence of Healthcare Assistants, maintaining GP and Nurses rooms, stocking and rotating items as required
• Sharing in responsibility for the general tidiness and cleanliness of nurses and treatment rooms
• Participation in administrative systems in the practice
• At all times there will be a need to maintain accurate records
• A duty to advise the Nurse Manager of potential problems or errors within the range of assigned tasks
• Attend and participate in any practice meetings when required.
• Any other delegated duties appropriate to the post.
Special Requirements of the Post:
• An understanding, acceptance and adherence to the need for strict confidentiality.
• Ability to use own judgment, resourcefulness and common sense.
• A commitment to maintain a high professional standard of nursing care and keep up to date with all aspects of nursing care relevant to the post.
• A commitment to ensure all Health and Safety requirements and Infection Control measures are met and to report any problems to the practice manager
• A commitment to the effective use of practice and NHS resources.
• An awareness of own limitations and experience.
• To work only in accordance with the UKCC Code of Conduct and within the Scope of Professional Practice
• To have a written professional development plan and to maintain an up-to-date portfolio which meets the requirements of registration with the UKCC
• Cooperate with annual appraisal meetings
To apply for this job please contact:
Avril Tozer (Practice Business Manager)
Saltash Health Centre