NDT R&D Engineer
About the job
Job Title: NDT R&D Engineer
Location: Plymouth, UK – Hybrid – Working from home options available
Compensation: £39,408 – £44,044 + benefits
Role Type: Full time / Permanent
Role ID: SF 43269
Creating change together
At Babcock we're working to create a safe and secure world, together, and if you join us, you can play your part as a NDT R&D Engineer at our Devonport site.
As an international defence company, we support and enhance our customers' defence and security capabilities and critical assets, meeting their requirements of value for money, increased availability, modernisation and flexibility.
Babcock International and Devonport
The NDT R&D Engineer role is based within our Devonport Royal Dockyard business area.
Working at Devonport puts the best of the Southwest at your fingertips. Amazing scenery, vibrant towns and numerous leisure opportunities – It's why Devon and Cornwall are such a desirable place to live and work.
Comprising of 14 dry docks, four miles of waterfront and 25 tidal berths, Devonport is the base for numerous surface vessels as well as the base and refit centre for the Trafalgar-class nuclear-powered submarines. Devonport has also recently been selected as the base port for the Navy's new Type 26 frigates and will become the maintenance centre for the future submarine programme.
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence Company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly-skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure and specialist training.
The difference our new NDT R&D Engineer will make:
As a NDT R&D Engineer, you'll have a role that's out of the ordinary, being part of the NDT Engineering Team that focuses on the day-to-day compliance of NDT across the 165 strong welding design and NDT department.
Day to day, you'll focus on the compliance of NDT, whist also undertaking R&D (Research and Development) initiatives to improve processes, comply with latest H&S regulations and drive efficiency.
At Babcock, we have a history of helping talent go far. With our track record of innovation, you'll continually develop your knowledge and expertise.
We offer flexible working to give people more options to better integrate their work and personal life, whilst ensuring that business needs are met. This role requires regular travel to Devonport, on a weekly basis alongside home working arrangements.
* You will have previous experience conducting research and development projects and/or demonstrate a strong broad understanding of NDT techniques including surface-flaw and volumetric methods.
* Ideally, hold one or more NDT qualifications.
* Experience in producing lab reports, literature reviews, presenting and justifying proposals is desirable.
* Ideally, you will also be well adverse in statistical data evaluation methods and experienced in relevant software for data collation and analysis.
* You will need to satisfy security requirements. This may require you to hold or be eligible/capable of achieving 'Security Check' (SC) clearance. You must be a British National and be capable of holding NNPI, PSA and Atomic security clearances.
What we offer
Generous benefits including:
* Generous holiday allowance of 25 days plus bank holidays
* Reservist in the armed forces receive 10 days special paid leave
* Matched contribution pension scheme up to 8% of salary, with life assurance
* Employee share scheme – save tax and national insurance on shares, with 1 free share per 10 purchased
* Employee shopping savings portal
* Employment development allowance – £125 per year
* Payment of Professional Fees
* Reward and Recognition Scheme linked to Health and Safety
* Working from home and flexible work patterns
* Employee assistance programme supporting physical, mental and financial wellbeing
* Flexible benefits, including cycle to work scheme, discounts and our Share Ownership Scheme
* Autonomy. Trusted and empowered to be at your best
For over 130 years, we have helped to defend nations, protect communities and build a better world. To continue, we must adapt, advance and be a sustainable business with a shared goal. Change begins with our people and our shared Principles: be curious; be courageous; own and deliver; think: outcomes; collaborate; and be kind. These values not only guide the way we work, but also our efforts to reach net-zero carbon. Yes, our ambitions are big, but together, we can achieve them.
Armed Forces CovenantWe are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. If you are a reservist in the armed forces, we provide up to ten days special paid leave in support of your training commitments.