Lead Pharmacist – Family Services
Somerset NHS Foundation Trust
Our award winning trusts recognise that our colleagues are our most valuable resource, we are proud of the excellent levels of service our Trust provides to our service users and the dedication and conscientiousness of our colleagues. With over 10,000 colleagues working for our trusts in a very wide range of services, we aim to provide a supportive, inclusive environment in which our colleagues can thrive.
Potential Trust Merger
Our trust is consulting on a proposed merger to enable Yeovil District hospital and Somerset Foundation Trust to become one combined organisation. If the merger is confirmed your employment will transfer to the newly formed trust in April 2023
Would you like the opportunity to lead clinical pharmacy services to paediatric patients and support maternity services working as a part of a progressive, patient focused Pharmacy service?
In 2023 Somerset NHS Foundation Trust will merge with Yeovil District Hospital NHS Foundation Trust providing inpatient healthcare across Somerset with approximately 950 acute beds (2 sites), 250 community hospital beds and 130 mental health beds as well as diverse acute, community and mental health outpatient services.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and innovative pharmacist to join our Pharmacy team. The successful candidate will lead the development and delivery of clinical pharmacy services to the Families directorate across our organisation.
Relocation package included**
Main duties of the job
This is a key a role that will integrate with the relevant clinical teams to lead and provide expert clinical pharmacy services for children and pregnant women across Somerset.
The successful candidate will work closely with the Associate Director of Pharmacy (Clinical Services) to ensure the alignment of the overall strategy for the delivery of the clinical pharmacy service to the Families directorate.
You will help lead a team of pharmacists, technicians and assistants acting as an exemplar in the provision of clinical pharmacy and medicines optimisation services, fostering close working relationships multidisciplinary teams within the directorate
Working for our organisation
As an organisation, the NHS offers a wide range of benefits including flexible working, pension contributions, market leading annual leave allowance, career progression and regular conversations, not to mention our Blue Light Card and NHS exclusive discounts.
The benefits of working in Somerset include the idyllic countryside, with our areas of outstanding beauty and stunning coastlines. You will get to enjoy these perks whilst still only being a stone’s throw away from bustling city centres like Bristol, Bath and Exeter and only two hours away from London.
There are excellent educational facilities in the area and, when compared to other regions, house prices are reasonable. You will experience the best of both in Somerset, the countryside and the cosmopolitan – there is truly something for everyone!
Is this the ideal role for you?
Are you a UK registered Pharmacist with a postgraduate diploma in Clinical Pharmacy?
Do you have demonstrable hospital pharmacy experience delivering clinical pharmacy practice at an advanced level including managing complex paediatric patients?
If you answered yes to these questions, then we would love to hear from you! Previous experience of training and mentoring pharmacy staff would also be an advantage
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
- Provision of a comprehensive clinical pharmacy service to paediatric services in-liaison with service leads and in-line with national service standards
- Provision of clinical pharmacy support to maternity services
- To plan, lead, manage and strategically develop specialist medicines management services within the Families directorate
- Act as an expert resource on the safe and effective use of medicines for children and pregnant women
- Work with the Associate Director of Pharmacy (Clinical Service) to ensure alignment of the overall strategy for and delivery of the clinical pharmacy service to the Families directorate
- Support clinical governance processes, such as incident reporting and investigation, complaint handling, development of guidelines, policies and procedures, and the monitoring and evaluation of services
- Provide assurance to SFT on the safe, effective, and efficient use of medicines within the Families directorate
- Provide relevant evaluated financial data on medicines expenditure, income, and cost saving or avoidance initiatives
- Act as a role model to junior staff, and support their learning and development
- Provide professional support and leadership to the pharmacy department at Musgrove Park Hospital.
- Provide general high quality clinical pharmacy services as a member of the clinical pharmacy team meeting the needs of patients and healthcare professionals within the trust.
See detailed JD attached.
Qualification and Training
- Masters degree or equivalent in Pharmacy
- Full current registration with the General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC)
- Postgraduate Diploma and/or MSc in Clinical Pharmacy and/or General Pharmacy Practice
- Maintains a broad knowledge of clinical and pharmacy practice
- Demonstrable commitment to continuous professional development
- Demonstrable pharmacy experience delivering clinical pharmacy practice at an advanced level (min 5 years)
- Significant experience in clinical pharmacy management of complex paediatric patients
- Demonstrable clinical pharmacy experience of general medicine, general surgery (including non-specialist service provision to acute and emergency patients)
- Significant experience of in-house one-to-one teaching, including clinical training and/or mentoring of pharmacy staff
Employer certification / accreditation badges
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Apply online now
Further details / informal visits contact
- Antony Zorzi
- Job title
- Clinical Pharmacy Manager
- Email address
- [email protected]
- Telephone number
- 01823 342260
- Additional information