Junior DBA – VAC2469
Cumberland Building Society
Closing: 27 March 2023
Junior DBA – VAC2469
Hybrid / Head Office, Carlisle
Up to £33,498 depending on experience
The Junior DBA is responsible for working with others in the team to maintain and administering the core baking databases and associated environments including Oracle Solaris (Unix). This includes production, DR and test systems.
We are keen to speak to you if you are looking to start a career in the Technology department or looking to see how the backend of the systems work.
The role will include assisting with regular BAU/maintenance tasks such as:
- Regular BAU checks daily, weekly monthly etc.
- Installation, upgrading and patching environments.
- Undertake and support established disaster recovery testing activities
- Implementation of Developments
- Test system refreshes
Overtime, this will help with providing SME knowledge and support to the wider business as and when required.
Main responsibilities will include:
- Assisting the DBA team with the day-to-day support and administration of the Oracle databases and associated environments including live and test environments.
- Work closely with the DBA team as well as others in Technology to assist with requests, incidents, problem management and implementation of changes.
- Assist with keeping software up to date and aligned with software patching policy.
- Assisting with the high availability of the database infrastructure to minimise the duration and impact of any outages.
- Utilising the available Oracle tools to identify and carry out any tuning required on the systems.
- Carry out regular disaster recovery activities with other Technology teams.
Out of hours work will be required due to nature of systems, for which Time Off In Lieu (TOIL) will be given. Database on call may be required.
This role would suit someone looking to get into Technology or looking for a new venture/challenge. The right candidate would gain skills and experience of working in high availability Oracle and Solaris environments including upgrades and patching.
Knowledge preferred but not essential:
- Experience in 1st/2nd line support
- Experience in incident and problem management
- Experience in request and change management
Qualifications – but not essential:
Graduates within Computer science or other IT related disciplines.
And the following skills:
- Good communicator
- Demonstrate logical thinking
- Problem solver
- Detail oriented
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Work well within a small team
Our aim is to keep the great balance we have achieved recently with home working. Whilst many of our roles are currently home based, in time we do hope to return to our Head Office location in Carlisle. Due to the expectations of the role, the successful candidate would therefore be willing to work remotely and in time return to work from Carlisle as and when required.
The closing date for completed applications is Monday 27 March 2023, however it may be closed earlier if enough applications are received.