Nottingham Trent Students Union
NTSU is looking for an Information and Advise Services Adviser to join our sector-leading team. We are looking for someone who is an experienced advisor/caseworker with expertise in at least three of the key subject areas offered by the IAS, be able to provide 1 to 1 advice and support to students and hold and manage a regular caseload. It is essential that applicants have the ability to take initiative, self-motivate, and manage competing priorities.
To provide independent, confidential, non-judgemental, and impartial advice, information, and representation to students on a range of issues that may affect them during their course including University Regulations, housing, and finance.
This role works in collaboration with elected officers, student representatives and other staff where the trend in individual casework is indicative of an issue(s) impacting on an increasing number of students. In addition to this the post holder will support the elected officers and IAS Manager to work with the University in developing policies and procedures that support students in academic and welfare matters.
Main duties and responsibilities
1. Contribute to the provision of a full range of advice and information services, including directly advising and representing students, to support their welfare and help all our students reach their potential.
2. Provide accurate advice on a range of issues including housing rights, student funding, benefits, aspects of consumer advice, and in relation to all University processes including appeals, complaints, fitness to practice, discipline, academic conduct, and extenuating circumstances. Provide representation and liaise with other departments in relation to a client’s case as appropriate.
3. Manage and prioritise own case load, effectively managing time and systems to record cases, monitor deadlines, carry out research and respond to students with the information they require within an appropriate timeframe.
4. Maintain an accurate and timely record of all advice cases and ensure that all case notes are entered into the database (currently AdvicePro) within 24 hours of student contact.
5. Work with the IAS manager and colleagues to achieve service excellence through quality accreditation (currently the AQS), GDPR compliance, and adopting good practices.
6. Take responsibility for self-development, identifying training needs, and updating your own knowledge in order to provide accurate advice. To include delivery of peer training and briefings to the team and supporting the induction of new staff and student volunteers.
7. To support students when referring them to appropriate internal & external agencies in line with the IAS Signposting and Referral policies.
8. To assist Students’ Union staff in dealing with vulnerable students in a crisis situation.
9. To provide a mediation service for students in conflict.
Relationship and Leadership Management
1. Develop and maintain effective working relationships and links with appropriate staff in the Students Union as well as the University including the Student Support Services Team, Complaints and Appeals Team, Accommodation Team, Heads of Department, and other staff from the faculties as appropriate.
2. Maintain a close working relationship with the external statutory and non-statutory organisations which the service signposts and/or refers students (The local council, Citizens Advice Bureau, Law Centre etc).
3. Assist the IAS Manager in the delivery of operational plans and ensure targets and key performance indicators are achieved.
4. Assist in the management of IAS student volunteers in a consistent, fair, and professional manner, ensuring that all adhere to the IAS volunteer policies and procedures and uphold the culture and values of the organisation. Effectively support and supervise them and positively contribute to their performance, satisfaction, and motivation; developing and inspiring them to achieve their best.
5. Support our Elected Officers in their political role; assisting them to achieve their objectives and support their wellbeing.
6. Encourage decision-making and personal responsibility, professionalism and confidentiality, multi-disciplinary team working, two-way communications, high-quality customer service, and a sound approach to health and safety.
7. Be an advocate for the IAS and take a proactive role in representing the IAS at relevant meetings and on committees and boards, including facilitating meetings as required.
Research and Policy
1. To monitor the matters raised via individual student cases to identify common trends and to then assist the IAS Manager to undertake contextual & comparative analyses of these trends that can then be used to inform and develop University policy and procedures
2. To work with the IAS Manager to ensure the continuous monitoring and evaluation of the service and ensure adherence with the requirements of the AQS as well as GDPR and Data Protection legislation
1. Support the IAS Manager in contributing positively towards the strategic direction and sustainability of the organisation.
2. Work in collaboration with colleagues to ensure that all activities organised by the IAS enhance the student experience and delivers high-quality services, events, activities, and opportunities, ensuring excellence, compliance, good practice, and fair access for all our students.
3. Work with the IAS Manager to ensure the IAS’s visibility, presence, and offer within the Students Union, Student community, and the University.
4. Engages in sustainable practices while in the workplace – accepts and follows sustainable office policies and procedures.
5. Tries new and sustainable practices: whenever possible, employee tries to reduce the negative environmental impact of their work – especially their waste and greenhouse gas emissions.
Conduct and Attitude
The Union expects that the post holder will undertake their duties in a manner conducive to creating a pleasant and positive working environment, role modelling appropriate standards of behaviour and etiquette between themselves and beneficiaries, stakeholders, customers and colleagues. The post-holder will have the ability to deliver and receive constructive feedback, fostering an environment of continuous improvement and development.
At all times, the post holder will;
- Portray a positive image of NTSU, both professionally and personally.
- Actively support good sustainability practices in line with the organisation’s ethical and environmental policies.
- Promote and share our commitment to a culture of equity, diversity, and inclusion, being empowered to report any concerns in line with the relevant NTSU procedures.
- Uphold the values of NTSU, demonstrating high standards of integrity, accountability, respect for others, courtesy and professionalism.
- Have a flexible approach and be willing to support colleagues in their department and the wider NTSU team.
- Undertake any reasonable task that helps NTSU achieve its objectives, given their role and position in NTSU.
This job description reflects the immediate requirements and objectives of this post. It is not an exhaustive list of the duties but gives a general indication of work undertaken which may vary in detail in the light of changing demands and priorities.
NTSU will periodically examine job descriptions/person specifications to ensure they accurately reflect each role.
Following consultation with the post holder, this specification is subject to alteration to account for any substantive change in duties and or level of responsibility.