Head of Quality
Sheffield Forgemasters is a unique U.K. business with the capability to design and manufacture large, high quality castings and forgings to the most exacting standards. The business is based in Sheffield with ~600 employees, operates in commercial and defence markets and provides components that underpin the UK’s independent nuclear deterrent. The need for significant re-capitalisation of defence critical manufacturing equipment meant that the business was taken into public ownership in August 2021 to secure strategic defence capability for key Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) and Atomic Weapons Establishment (AWE) programmes.
The Company manufactures carbon, alloy and stainless steel, machined and heat-treated castings up to 350 tonnes delivered weight and open die forgings, bar and bloom from ingots up to 297 tonnes.
In addition to its defence commitment, the company also produces parts for Power Generation, Nuclear Power, Chemical Processing Plant, Steel Mills, Marine, Oil and Gas Exploration/Production and General Engineering.
To support these activities SFEL holds a number of quality accreditations including ISO 9001:2015, Lloyds Register, DNVGL, ABS, BV and is in the process of re-gaining ASME approval for NPT (fabrications) and QSC as a material Organisation.
Defence contracts are carried out in accordance with AQAP 2110 and supplier quality approvals from Rolls-Royce (GS3001) BAE Systems (F supplier assurance 044 -SSQAC), Babcock International (Managing Quality) and AWE (QRFS). In addition, SFEL also manufactures for the US submarine programme to similar US Quality Standards.
Sheffield Forgemaster also operates an independent well-equipped modern mechanical testing facility (RD Testing) who are accredited by UKAS to ISO IEC17025. RD Testing performs testing for both internal and external Customers.
The company is seeking a Head of Quality to lead a small but dedicated team of professionals. This person, reporting to the Group Technical Director, will be responsible for maintaining and improving quality standards within the company, obtaining and maintaining quality approvals and approving the supply chain network. Ideally the candidate will be a certified ISO9001:2015 Lead auditor with experience of operating in the described environment. Knowledge of defence and nuclear quality systems will be a significant advantage.
Sheffield Forgemasters is an integrated manufacturing facility creating material in the steel melting plant converting it to forged and cast product and finish machining it to delivery condition. The production is underpinned by a well-established Quality Management System that includes a suite of Special Process Instructions that define critical process controls. The specific application of these controls to individual parts is described in manufacturing procedures, quality plans and inspection and test plans. Where possible these procedures define a fixed process. All of the parts manufactured are 100% examined by NDE and all parts are measured for dimensional accuracy. The successful application of processes and procedures is ensured by the training and qualification of personnel and the calibration and maintenance of equipment. The whole operation is driven forward within a culture of continuous improvement and SFEL employs a dedicated CI team to work in tandem with the Quality Team to bring improvements whilst maintaining a rigorous approach to the management of change and continuing customer confidence in the quality of the product.
The Head of Quality is accountable for the quality performance; responsibilities for Quality are divested to everyone that works at the business and these responsibilities are held to account by the Quality Management Team by:
- Auditing to an annual audit schedule
- Managing end evaluating non-conformances, concessions and other quality indicators for effective corrective and preventative action
- Regular evaluation of quality trends and quality costs and carrying out an annual Quality Review
- Control of quality system documents, specifications and the updated requirements of international standards.
- Making sure that the business complies with the various international and customer QMS requirements
- Working with the Security function to ensure that processes comply with the requirements for the defined aspects of security for defence projects.
- Leading customer collaboration for both QMS and process non-conformance investigations
- Collaborating with the customer for QMS, Quality and CI Improvement initiatives
- Flowing down requirements and managing the supply chain
Days/Hours of Work:
Monday to Friday 07:45-16:00, equal to 37.5 hours per week
What can we offer you in return?
• Long established local employer
• Competitive Salary
• 33 days annual leave
• Central location with free onsite parking
• Matched Pension scheme up to 5% and Life Assurance Scheme
• Employee Assistance Programme
• Family friendly policies
• On site Occupational Health provision providing Health Screening and advice on well-being focus topics
• Discount Westfield Health Cash Plan Scheme
• Occupational Sick Pay Scheme
• You at Work – Access to Online Discounts
• Comprehensive Learning & Development Opportunity
For additional information please email [email protected] and we will ensure your enquiry reaches the appropriate member of the team. If you think you have what it takes to join Sheffield Forgemasters, review our full job description as attached and apply now!