Oxford University Press
Posted 4 days ago
The ELT Division is a global leader in the provision of multimedia English language teaching and learning materials. Operating in over 100 countries, it reaches millions of teachers and students each year to support the development of English language proficiency. The assessment team is accountable for the development and delivery of a growing portfolio of summative and formative English Language assessment products.
ABOUT THE ROLE
This is an exciting time to join us. OUP has ambitious plans, and is investing in developing new, often digital English Language teaching, learning and assessment products critical to the growth of our ELT division. This role provides a unique opportunity for an entrepreneurial senior leader to take ownership of the Division's Assessment line of business, shaping and enhancing the portfolio and supporting the development of the team. Working closely with assessment and content experts, and colleagues in technology, the Director, Assessment will:
- Develop and execute a compelling vision and strategy for ELT Assessment and lead the Assessment function
- Provide leadership to all Assessment functions (Research, Delivery, Product) ensuring that roadmaps / plans are in place
- Build a strong network of external partners to deliver the Assessment vision
- As an ELT assessment expert, speak regularly at conferences and industry fora to credibly promote OUP’s Assessment portfolio
- Ensure tight management of key supplier relationships to ensure delivery of projects, goods and services in line with requirements – notably technology suppliers (such as eAssessment platform providers) and Test Centre partners
- Recruit, train, motivate, manage, and develop the Assessment team
- Liaise closely with Sales and Marketing teams to ensure that product communication is effective and in line with sales plans.
- Prepare annual budgets for the function and input into five-year plans. Accountable for delivery in line with these budgets
- Champion Assessment whilst contributing to the wider strategy for the global ELT Division
- Develop a roadmap of products and services that delivers growth, sponsoring business cases through all stages of approval
- Ensure that all Assessment functions operate according to agreed policies and procedures
We operate a hybrid working policy that requires a minimum of 2 days per week in the Oxford office, however consideration will be made for those outside of the local area who may need flexibility around this and/or remote working.
You’ll be a credible and inspiring leader with the resilience and tenacity to overcome challenges and see opportunities through from initial idea to successful implementation. You’ll be enthusiastic about the importance of Assessment within ELT and have the desire to grow your business area. To be successful in the role you’ll also have:
- Significant experience in English language assessment development / delivery at a senior level
- Significant management experience, including leading large teams with experience of mentoring and/or coaching team members
- Sound commercial and financial knowledge, including significant budgetary responsibility, and experience of developing business / product strategies that deliver growth
- Credibility within the ELT Assessment global community
- Experience of successfully leading and implementing change initiatives.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to influence stakeholders and challenge where necessary
- Post graduate qualification in language assessment and / or business management
- Experience of complex technology projects / integrations, ideally related to assessment products.
We care about work/life balance here at OUP. With this in mind we offer 25 days’ holiday that rises with service, plus bank holidays and Christmas closure (3-days) and a 35-hour working week. We are open to discussing flexibility in respect to working patterns, dependent on role. We also have a great variety of active employee networks and societies.
We help make your money go further by contributing to your pension up to 12%, offering loans and savings schemes through our partnership with Salary Finance, in addition to travel to work schemes and access to a wide range of local discounts.
This role comes with the added benefit of private medical insurance, a car/allowance, and a management bonus.
Please see our Rewards and Recognition page for more information.
Please contact [email protected] with any queries relating to this role.
We are committed to supporting diversity in our workforce, and ensuring an inclusive environment where all individuals can thrive. We seek to employ a workforce representative of the markets that we serve and encourage applications from all.
PLEASE NOTE: We may close the advertisement early should we find the right candidate and therefore advise applying at your earliest convenience to avoid disappointment. The current closing date is the 26th of March.
Please apply via our careers page: Oxford University Press Jobs – Director, Assessment (3660) (oup.com)