Deputy Regional Director for Communications and Digital (MENA Region) (3669)
The Deputy Regional Director for Communications and Digital will lead our media, communications and digital campaigning work to achieve human rights impact in the MENA region, where many countries have repressive human rights records. We are looking for a creative visionary who can lead a talented team of communication experts to mobilize people to take action and effect human rights change.
Under the leadership of this individual, regional human rights issues will be prominently covered in the international and regional media, campaigns will get audience talking, our audiences and members will grow, there will be increased brand recognition in the region and human rights messaging will reach people even in countries where there is restriction on freedom of expression.
This is a hybrid remote position.
A strategic communications professional, you will be well-versed in all forms of communications, including media, social media and supporter engagement, and adept to the fast-paced global communications environment. You will have substantial experience in a similar role, with a proven track record of leading the development and implementation of innovative communication strategies for international organizations.
You will have experience of managing people and teams, with a demonstrable ability to direct and collaborate with others to achieve results.
- Lead the Comms& Digital Team, and broader Regional Office staffing including researchers, campaigners to deliver high-quality, locally relevant communications strategies and materials in support of regional research, campaign, advocacy, communication and growth objectives.
- Lead MENA's media work, ensuring timely reaction to breaking news as well as strategic releases of planned outputs that showcase new research findings and generate news coverage. Ensure that we are constantly monitoring hits and headlines to learn and adjust on our tactics.
- Develop innovative new channels and methods to convey Amnesty International's messages to influential media, social media and policy-making targets.
- Working with the Regional Office management team, ensure the integration of the work of the Comms and Digital team with that of country teams to develop coordinated public campaigns on specific MENA countries, or on global campaigns to ensure advocacy impact. Where strategic, initiate regional campaigns and regional comms projects.
- Promote innovation in digital campaigning and activism, including trying new tactics, techniques and methodologies.
- Identify opportunities to partner with human rights and activist groups in our digital campaigning across the region. Ensure that engaging with nascent activist and youth groups is reflected wherever possible throughout our campaigning work in the region.
This is not an exhaustive list of duties. The need for flexibility is required and the post holder is expected to carry out any other related duties that are within the employee's skills and capabilities whenever reasonably instructed.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Digitally fluent, an impact-focused communications professional with extensive experience in running a fully integrated, audience-led, multi-disciplinary, multichannel and metrics-driven global communications operation.
- Demonstrated knowledge and direct experience of the human rights and political context in at least two countries of the MENA region and ideally more.
- Knowledge of leading campaigns through a campaigns lifecycle (issue identification, strategy development, campaign delivery, monitoring and evaluation, campaign exit and impact assessment), and using strategic campaign methodologies and tools.
- Experience of working in a key leadership role in a complex organization ideally based in a field office and preferably with experience of maintaining a successful operation during times of organizational change and managing a cross-functional and multi-cultural team, coaching them toward a new way of working.
- Written and oral fluency in English and Arabic is essential, French or Persian desirable. Fluency must be demonstrated at interview and through publications or other written materials. Oral fluency means being able to conduct media interviews and public speaking engagements in the relevant language.
- Ability to lead and manage staff and financial resources including setting, managing and monitoring plans and budgets for their team.
Amnesty International is a global movement of more than 10 million people who campaign for a world where human rights are enjoyed by all. We reach almost every country in the world.
Our aim is simple: an end to human rights abuses. Independent, international and influential, we campaign for justice, fairness, freedom and truth wherever they're denied. And whether we're applying pressure through powerful research or direct lobbying, mass demonstrations or online campaigning, we're all inspired by hope for a better world. One where human rights are respected and protected by everyone, everywhere.
At Amnesty International, we are passionate about what we do and we are proud of our achievements as a movement. To compensate our employees for the critical work they do, we reward them through a combination of an attractive and sector competitive salary and benefits package, high levels of engagement and involvement, and a commitment to employee development.
Benefits include 37 days annual leave (inclusive of public holidays and grace days), pension scheme, employee assistance programme, life assurance and many more benefits designed to suit your own personal lifestyle. All of this, in a professional, engaging environment.
For further information on our benefits, please visit https://www.amnesty.org/en/careers/benefits/
WHAT WE HOPE YOU WILL DO NEXT
If you are talented, passionate about human rights and want to use your skills, knowledge and experience to change the world then we would encourage you to click ‘Apply for this Role' below.
Freedom, Justice, Equality. Let's get to work.
N.B. We reserve the right to close a vacancy before the closing date in the event of an overwhelming response or a change in business priorities.
Amnesty International is committed to being an inclusive employer and providing an inclusive and accessible recruitment process for all. If you would like to receive any information in a different way or would like us to do anything differently to help you apply for our roles, please get in touch with the team by [email protected]