Deputy Engineering Manager
Atomic Weapons Establishment: AWE
About the job
AWE is currently recruiting for a Deputy Engineering Manager to work within the Vessel Product Team (VPT), supporting our Trials, Test team and Epure delivery area to ensure certified vessel are available to support the UKs nuclear deterrent. The successful candidate will work on a variety of challenging projects to design, maintain and substantiate steel vessels used to contain explosively driven experiments.
Deputy Engineering Manager
Location – Reading/Basingstoke area
Package – £33,300-£46,000 (depending on your suitability and level of experience)
As part of our People Promise, AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) has a range of benefits to suit you. These include:
- Time to recharge your batteries with 270 hours of annual leave (plus every other Friday off work)
- Consideration for flexible working arrangements so that your work may fit in with your lifestyle. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time
- Opportunities for Professional Career Development that include funding for the annual membership of a relevant professional body, access to mentors and training
- Employee Assistance Programme and Occupational Health Services
- A generous defined contribution Group Personal Pension (we will pay between 9% and 13% of your pensionable pay depending on your own contribution)
- Life Assurance
- Discounts – access to savings on a wide range of everyday spending
- Special Leave Policy including paid time off for volunteering, public service (including reserve forces) and caring for your family
- A host of voluntary & core benefits to suit your health and wellbeing – more information available on our careers site
- Potential opportunities to travel with work for conferences and collaboration
The successful candidate will assist the Principal Engineering Manager (Vessels) by supporting the design, manufacture and substantiation of steel vessels for use in explosively driven experiments. This will require the successful candidate to become familiar with all aspects of vessel system design including static and dynamic pressure systems and high velocity fragment protection schemes. They will develop an understanding of a variety of manufacturing techniques ranging from heavy industry steel casting and forging to small component precision machining. They will develop an understanding of the design substantiation processes required for these vessels and will ultimately support the production of nuclear UK deterministic and French probabilistic safety cases.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to attend and present their work at dedicated UK-Fr and UK-US meetings as well attend open conferences with a view to becoming recognised as a world expert in their field.
What will you be responsible for?
- Support the delivery of engineering management activities, including design reviews, etc.
- Support the delivery of engineering design work within the Vessel Product Team.
- Lead on stakeholder engagement and management activities in supporting design delivery.
- Assist with and/or compile technical specifications for tendering packages of work and manage the technical aspects of the subcontracted packages of work through regular reviews, in conjunction with the Engineering Manager and Project Manager.
- Support the delivery of offsite explosive trials to test designs.
- Analyse the data from offsite explosive trials to substantiate the vessel design.
- The Company may require you to fulfil any other reasonable duties aligned to your position from time to time in line with business needs.
What will you need to be considered?
- A degree in a relevant STEM discipline, or hold a HNC/HND or NVQ Level 3 qualification supported by relevant experience.
- Awareness of engineering design and substantiation techniques
- Proficient in production of technical reports
- Strong communication skills (both written and oral)
- Strong organisational and problem-solving skills
- Willingness to travel both in the UK and Internationally
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role.