Your cover letter is your first opportunity to introduce yourself. It should clearly and concisely explain who you are, why you want the job and how your skills and experience make you a great candidate for the position you are seeking.
In writing a cover letter, pay attention to these tips:
Cover Letter Structure
- Heading and greeting: Provides the date, your name and contact information. Whenever possible, address the letter to a specific person, usually the hiring official.
- Opening: Introduce yourself, tell why you are writing and summarize why you are an ideal candidate for the position.
- Body: Sell yourself with details of how your education and experience meet the needs of the employer and would be a strong asset.
- Closing: Thank the hiring official and use an appropriate closing such as “Sincerely yours.”
- Keep your letter concise—no more than a page.
- Write a tailored cover letter for each position you are seeking.
- Show enthusiasm for the position and knowledge of the organization and its needs.