Consultant in General Adult Psychiatry – PCLS – Wiltshire
Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust
Consultant in General Adult Psychiatry – PCLS – Wiltshire
- Main area
- Consultant Psychiatrist
- Permanent: Substantive
- 10 sessions per week (Full Time – 10 PAs)
- Job ref
- Green Lane Hospital
- 88,364 – £119,133 per annum
- 29/03/2023 23:59
We are seeking a consultant psychiatrist to join the Primary Care Liaison Service in Wiltshire. The post is an established post which has become vacant due to the previous incumbent moving to another service within AWP. The post involves working as the Primary Care Liaison consultant for a single CMHT catchment are in North, West and East Wiltshire. The post is supported by a Specialty Doctor.
The consultant (post holder) will provide clinical leadership in the team, help triage referrals, assess patients and make recommendations on care, provide advice to colleagues on assessment and management, liaising and working closely with the Intensive Service, Community Mental Health Team and Primary Care. There is a weekly interface meeting which is attended by PCLS, CMHTs, Primary Care Psychology and North Wiltshire Intensive Service. The consultant will work closely with the PCLS Manager to ensure that a safe, efficient and high quality service is delivered by the Team. The Consultant will also provide clinical supervision and management supervision for doctors reporting to them.
Main duties of the job
The Consultant will deliver advice to service users including undertaking assessments, (jointly where required), making diagnoses, and determining the most appropriate service provision to meet identified needs, including brief interventions where required.
The Consultant will supervise any medical staff providing input in to the service.
- To actively participate in clinical supervision.
Work collaboratively with the Recovery, Intensive and Inpatient Services to facilitate transitions through the care pathway according to the identified care cluster.
- The Consultant is expected to contribute to the development of services in line with best practice and nationally accredited standards.
- Responsible with the team members for the identification of appropriate care cluster and identifying service users who require access to specialist services
- Understand and participate in the maintenance, monitoring and evaluation of service specific performance indicators and targets.
The Consultant is expected to respond to all Advice and Guidance requests within 3-5 working days in accordance with the new PCLS Standard Operating Procedure (SOP). The requestors will primarily be GP, ARRS’ Workers, RMN’s based in GP surgeries, and at times, although scarce, other medical specialists based in Acute and Community Hospitals
Training and supervision of junior medical staff
Medical and MDT teaching and supervision
Regular attendance at the PCLS Team MDT meetings.
Participate in QI
Working for our organisation
We are AWP (Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust) a diverse organisation with over 5,000 dedicated staff providing inpatient and community-based mental health care. We provide services from a range of locations to approximately 1.8 million people living in Bath and North East Somerset (B&NES), Bristol, North Somerset, South Gloucestershire, Swindon, across the county of Wiltshire and in parts of Dorset. Our outstanding people promote mental health and wellbeing. The expertise and resources within AWP are dedicated to a person-centred approach for those who use our services and for all employees. We recognise that happy and fulfilled employees give better care.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Please refer to the accompanying job description for full details on the roles and responsibilities of this post.
- MB BS or equivalent medical qualification
- Relevant Higher Degree e.g MD,PHD,Msc or other additional clinical qualifications
- MRCPsych OR MRCPsych equivalent approved by the Royal College of Psychiatrists.
- Fully registered with the GMC with a licence to practise at the time of appointment
- Included on the GMC Specialist Register OR within six months of gaining CCT
- Approved clinician status OR able to achieve within 3 months of appointment
- Approved under S12 OR able to achieve with 3 months of appointment
- CCT in General Adult Psychiatry
- Experience of assessing and treating patients in a community setting.
- To possess leadership skills and be able to work collaboratively in a multidisciplinary team.
- Ability to manage own time, workload and prioritise clinical work
- Able to demonstrate excellent communication skills, in order to effectively work with patients, carers and staff.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to assess and treat psychiatric problems in Adults of working age and to deal with crisis situations.
- Understanding of the management skills required to function successfully as a Consultant.
- Commitment to and experience of undergraduate and postgraduate learning and teaching.
- Understand principles of teaching.
Research and Audit
- Experience or involvement in a research project and publication.
- Experience of carrying out an audit project.
- Evidence of management/leadership skills training.
We are proud to be fostering a diverse workforce that reflects our communities. A key commitment to this is improving staff representation from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic communities, those from the LGBTQ+ communities, people with ‘lived-experience’ of mental health conditions and people living with disabilities,– we are a ‘Disability Confident Employer’ offering a guaranteed interview to Disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
We encourage applications from people who wish to work on a flexible basis, recognising that flexibility may mean a range of different working patterns and hours, we do our utmost to work with our staff to meet their needs and the needs of our service users.
Please apply to join us, we would love to hear from you. Any personal details you supply to us are kept safe in line with the General Data Protection Regulations.
Adverts normally close for application a few minutes before midnight on the closing date and we will let you know if we are offering you an interview by email via our recruitment system ‘TRAC’. We contact all applicants within 4 weeks after the closing date, so please check your emails regularly once you have submitted your application; you are welcome to contact us, via the TRAC system, if you have any queries about your application.
Employer certification / accreditation badges
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Apply online now
Further details / informal visits contact
- Angelika Luehrs
- Job title
- Email address
- [email protected]
- Telephone number
- 01380 731292
- Additional information
List all jobs in Medical and Dental or all sectors