Chief Accountant (4358694)
Chief Accountant Job at Elmbridge Borough Council, Esher
Your new organisation
Elmbridge is a borough with people and community at its heart. It is a borough with energy and enthusiasm, diverse businesses, and communities and plenty of commons, woodlands, and green spaces. Elmbridge as an organisation is no different with its diverse, committed, and passionate workforce wanting to make a difference to the communities they support.
Your new role
Elmbridge is a financially resilient Council with a track record for strong financial management, supported by a dedicated and committed Finance team. There are plenty of initiatives and projects to test your technical, project management and listening skills and you will never get bored. As the Chief Accountant you will assist in the development, promotion and management of all aspects of the work of the Finance Team recognising its profile with stakeholders and the major role that it can make to achieving the Council’s vision and key priorities. You will be responsible for the day-to-day management of the accounting function of the Council and the production of the statement of accounts.
What you'll need to succeed
- Full Member of a CCAB Body (preferably CIPFA)
- Significant knowledge/experience of accounting and budgeting processes and frameworks.
- Significant knowledge of external funding regimes and partnership working.
- Experience of contributing to a major project
- Significant knowledge & experience of organisational and financial policies.
- Significant knowledge and experience of application of CIPFA Codes of Practice.
- Knowledge of Local Authority Treasury Management and VAT.
- Experience in the use and development of computerised financial systems and Microsoft packages
- Ability to analyse complex information from a variety of sources in order to develop financial strategies.
- Ability to negotiate with non-financial officers to ensure compliance with policies, practices and timetables.
- Proven oral and written communication skills.
- Able to manage workload to ensure compliance with deadlines.
What you'll get in return
- A salary of up to £69,542 + £5,000 market supplement per annum
- Local Government pension scheme
- 31 days paid leave (inclusive of bank holidays), or 36 days if 5 years+ LG continuous service is held
- We will also give you the day off on your birthday
- The opportunity to ‘buy’ up to 10 additional days’ annual leave, subject to certain conditions
- Up to 3 days paid leave for you to care for dependents at times of illness or to manage other emergency situations
- A free medical check and flu jab each year
- Free access to tennis courts near the Civic Centre
- Enrolment to our leisure discount scheme
- The opportunity to take up to one additional day’s leave to do some voluntary work for the Elmbridge community
- Cycle to work scheme
- Christmas closure, where you will not be required to attend work on these days or take annual leave
- A free, confidential 24-hour telephone helpline to assist you in dealing with a range of situations from relationship issues, to legal problems and debt management
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.
Contact: Caroline Whicher
Office: 3rd Floor, Mountbatten House, Grosvenor Square