Chef/Cook – Part Time
Chef/Cook – Part Time
Dunboyne Court, Torquay
18 hours per week
We are seeking an enthusiastic and committed Chef to deliver a high-quality catering service within our Taste Restaurant at Dunboyne Court. You will also manage the food and staffing budget, along with the purchase and control of stock.
Located in Torquay, with easy access to the town centre and seafront, our in-house restaurant is open to residents and members of the public from seven days a week, offering breakfast, lunch and snacks Monday to Saturday (8.30am – 2.30pm), and a lunchtime roast on Sunday (12pm – 2.30pm).
Our Chefs will enjoy steady hours with no split-shifts compared to other areas of the catering world, which may be a good choice if you have a family to consider or you don’t necessarily want to be working late nights.
If you want to create restaurant style food without the restaurant style hours, this is a great opportunity to hone your skill set whilst helping to create innovative menus for our residents in a relaxed environment.
Though we refer to the position as Chef, it is also known as Demi Chef, Line Chef, Cook, Chef de Partie (CDP) and Commis Chef.
We value our team and encourage learning and progression through our comprehensive induction programme, as well as on-going training to develop new and existing skills and encourage progression. Sanctuary has their own Learning and Development Academy, who provide a wide range of training courses, open to all.
Sanctuary also offers a great employee rewards scheme, where you will be able to receive a variety of discounts from major retailers.
Strong interpersonal skills and a friendly open manner are essential for success in this role.
The role of Chef will include:
- Delivering a high-quality versatile catering service that caters for our residents’ individual needs, including special diets
- Managing the food and labour budget, through careful rota planning, purchasing and control of food supplies, to ensure that menus can be delivered and the kitchen works within the relevant budgetary levels for the Taste restaurants
- Receiving and amending of orders, food stock locations and audits, input of weekly labour entries and daily cash records within the specified time requirements
- Managing the Food Safety Management System and having responsibility for the team understanding and implementing it
- Scheduling cleaning and maintenance routines for all food services areas and kitchen equipment, to maintain high sanitation/safety standards
- Carrying out risk assessments and cleaning the kitchen to a high standard
- Assisting with the supervision and development of staff
Skills and experiences:
- Previous experience of working in a catering environment is essential along with experience of cooking for various groups of people
- Level 2 Diploma in Catering and Hospitality is desirable, plus a minimum of two years catering experience
- A valid Basic Food Hygiene Certificate
- Knowledge of online catering software packages
- Proven knowledge of health and safety procedures
- Some experience of setting and managing budgets
- Friendly and approachable attitude with the ability to interact with our residents, visitors and colleagues
Why work for Sanctuary Retirement Living?
Sanctuary Retirement Living services provide comfort, independence and peace of mind. Residents live independently, safe in the knowledge that support is available in their home should they need it. Spacious apartments with on-site communal facilities create an environment where residents can enjoy healthy, active and independent lifestyles in their later years.
Ready to join Sanctuary Supported Living?
As part of our commitment to making Sanctuary Supported Living a great place to work, we offer you access to a range of great employee benefits and the opportunity to develop and progress within your career. Benefits include:
- A pension scheme with employer contributions from Sanctuary
- 28 days annual leave (including public holidays) pro rata
- Life assurance
- Family friendly arrangements, including opportunities for flexible working
- Health and well-being plans
- A variety of online discounts and rewards from major retailers
- Tax efficient savings through our Cycle to Work schemes
- A wide range of learning and development opportunities
- The full time equivalent for this role is 37.5 hours
- £10.50 per hour
We are proud to support the Department of Health and Social Care’s ‘Made with Care’ campaign to encourage more people to apply to work in adult social care. If you’re considering a caring career, we have many rewarding roles at Sanctuary Retirement Living. For more information on the campaign click here
Closing Date: 28 March 2023
We reserve the right depending on application numbers to close or extend the closing dates for positions; we would therefore recommend an early application.
For an insight into what it’s like to work for Sanctuary Retirement Living, visit our , take a look at our page or search
Building Equality and Diversity
Sanctuary Group encourages and welcomes applications from people from diverse backgrounds to support our commitment to offering an inclusive environment for our employees and customers.
We work closely with the Home Office in order to prevent unlawful working.
An enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check will be necessary in the event of a successful application which we will pay for.
Sanctuary Retirement Living is a trading name of Sanctuary Housing Association, an exempt charity.