Chair of Trustees
Manchester Youth Zone
ApplyAsk a question
We are looking for a new Chair to bring their commitment and passion and oversee the growth of Manchester Youth Zone, now in its 11th year.
What will you be doing?
The Chair will hold the Board and Senior Management Team to account for the Charity’s mission and vision, providing inclusive leadership to the Board, ensuring that each Trustee fulfils their duties and responsibilities for the effective governance of the charity.
The Chair will also support, and, where appropriate, challenge the Chief Executive and ensure that the Board functions as a unit and works closely with the entire Executive of the charity to achieve agreed objectives.
If successful, you will lead the Board, ensuring that the charity is managed effectively, that support is provided to the CEO and her colleagues whilst being the organisational figurehead.
What are we looking
The ideal candidate will have experience of sitting on a charity Board, and in particular one that has dealt with young people.
In addition to the qualities required of a Trustee of the charity, the Chair must also meet the following requirements:
- Demonstrate a strong commitment to the charity, its strategic objectives and cause.
- Strong interest in the issues affecting young people of Manchester and the local area, Harpurhey.
- Strong leadership skills, ability to motivate and bring people together.
- Demonstrate tact and diplomacy and the ability to listen and engage effectively.
- Strong networking capabilities that can be utilised for the benefit of the charity.
- Ability to foster and promote a collaborative team environment.
- Ability to commit time to conduct the role well.
Experience and knowledge:
- Experience of operating at a senior strategic leadership level within an organisation.
- Experience of charity governance and working with or as part of a Board of Trustees.
- Significant experience of chairing meetings and events.
- Good understanding of charity governance issues.
- Willingness to share links with local networks to help fundraising efforts.
The Manchester Youth Zone serves a hugely diverse community, with 69% of its members coming from Black and Asian communities, 10% of members having disabilities and/or additional needs and around 12% of our members identifying as LGBTQ. We are committed to developing a workforce and Board that reflect this diversity and as such we welcome applications from anyone regardless of their age, disability, ethnicity, heritage, sexuality, gender and socio-economic background.
What difference will you make?
Based in the one of the most deprived areas in the country, Manchester Youth Zone plays a key role in the lives of young people and their families, who face some of the most serious challenges that society can throw at them. Your role as Chair is paramount to our success in fulfilling our mission to help and support an ever-growing cohort of people who can often be forgotten and overlooked in terms of the benefits that they can provide to the wider society.
Before you apply
Reach Volunteering's TrusteeWorks team are supporting Manchester Youth Zone with their Chair recruitment.
Please submit your CV, LinkedIn profile or similar along with a covering letter stating why you would like to apply to become the Chair of Manchester Youth Zone and how your skills, abilities and experience would add value to the Board. Please contact us to arrange an informal chat or if you have any questions about this opportunity.
ApplyAsk a question