Battersea, Greater London
Emanuel School in South West London are looking to recruit a Groundsman Apprentice to assist in the maintenance of the school grounds including all sports pitch renovation, maintenance and preparation. This is a fantastic opportunity for anyone with a keen interest in Sportsturf.
Sign in to apply
Closing date: 29 Mar 2023
This post will be paid at £19,884.80 per annum for the circumstances of the Apprentice, with the potential to move to a permanent full-time post as Groundskeeper on £25,000 (if successfully complete the apprenticeship).
07.00 to 16.00 (including meal breaks) Monday to Friday.
Grounds staff will at times required to work weekends, public holidays and other non-core hours as required.
Total hours per week: 40
Possible start date
15 Apr 2023
4 days ago
Level 2 (GCSE)
What will the apprentice be doing?
- Assist in undertaking preparation and maintenance work on a range of sports facilities and amenity surfaces as directed by the Head Grounds Keeper
- Assist in undertaking all preparatory and cultivation work to maintain safe, high quality playing surfaces
- Assist in undertaking minor construction and landscaping work.
- Assist in the set up all sports pitches or amenity surfaces for use.
- Assist in maintaining other areas of the grounds and gardens to the standard specified by the Head Grounds Keeper
- Operate grounds equipment and vehicles as required for grounds maintenance operations if over 18 years of age and following training
- Assist in ensuring vehicles and equipment used are regularly maintained in accordance with routine operating requirements.
- Monitor the use of consumable items and spares and request for their replenishment as necessary
- Ensure the safe use, storage and disposal of chemicals, pesticides and other similar substances
- Ensure work area is kept safe, clean, tidy and secure at all times.
- Make recommendations to the Head Grounds Keeper regarding improved work systems
- Adhering to all aspects of Health and Safety regulations (including heating, safety, fire precautions and site cleanliness) and promptly reporting any hazards
- Participating in risk assessments and implementing procedures to reduce risk
- Working collaboratively with the estates management team and all other school stakeholders effectively and appropriately
- Complying with all legislative requirements and reasonable requests made by the estates management team
- Seeking support and development as required to meet the requirements of the role to add further value to the estates team and department’s overall performance
- Undertaking any other duties as required
- To comply with relevant Emanuel policies and procedures, including all safeguarding and health and safety procedures, at all times
This job description should be seen as enabling rather than restrictive and will be subject to regular review as the needs of the school evolve. You will be required to undertake other comparable duties as the head grounds keeper may require from time to time.
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- Apprentices will achieve the Apprenticeship Sports Turf Operative Level 2 certificate and will then be eligible to join the IOG Register of Turf Management Professionals
End Assessment Components:
- The End Assessment forms 100% of the assessment of achievement of the apprenticeship standard
The End Assessment will contain 2 components:
- A written and online test which will assess knowledge and behaviours and will be assessed by an independent assessment organisation This will be graded as Fail/Pass/Merit/Distinction weighted by 40%
- A practical assessment assessing skills, behaviours and knowledge. This will be assessed by an independent assessment organisation. This will be graded Fail/Pass/Merit/Distinction weighted by 60%
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
- Following a successful apprenticeship, we would consider making the apprentice a permanent full time member of our qualified Grounds Team, on an appropriate salary
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
Communication skills, Attention to detail, Problem solving skills, Initiative, Physical fitness, Interpersonal Skills, Willingness to be flexible, Self-motivated and robust, Commitment to safety culture
GCSE or equivalent 2 other subjects (Grade 2-9/E-A*) Essential
GCSE or equivalent English (Grade 2-9/E-A*) Essential
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade 2-9/E-A*) Essential
Things to consider
Please note that this role is based across two sites – the school grounds (SW11 1HS) and Blagdon’s Sports Ground (KT3 4PU).
You will be expected to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
Please note that this post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, and is subject to a Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) check. Emanuel School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We recommend applicants read our Safer Recruitment Policy for details of the pre-employment checks we required, which can be found here – https://www.emanuel.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/Recruitment-Policy.pdf
To ensure your application has the best chance of being considered for the vacancy you must provide information on all qualifications undertaken stating highest grades achieved in every subject, paying particular attention to maths and English. Along with this you need to state any previous work experience.
N.B. Depending on volume of applications this vacancy may close early, therefore early application is advisable.
About the employer
Emanuel is a leading independent day school in south-west London. Pupils are happy, confident and kind, led by a community of supportive teachers who are dedicated to helping each child achieve their best.
Sports turf operative
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.